Khotyn Fortress is a XIII-XVIII centuries fortress, located in Khotyn on the Dniester. Included in the list of historical and cultural monuments "Seven Wonders of Ukraine".
Khotyn Fortress originates from Khotyn fort, which was founded in the X century on the rocky promontory formed by the high right bank of the Dniester River valley and its tributaries. Its current look it has acquired in the 1340's: under the rule of Stephen the Great of Moldavia the fortress was greatly expanded. Under his leadership, 40 meters (130 ft) high walls were built. He also added five towers, raised the courtyard by 10 meters (33 ft) and dug deep cellars to store supplies. In XVIII century the south wall and South (Entrance) gate with wooden bridges were built by the Turks with the help of invited French engineers. They built a new castle around the old fortress, which was designed to accommodate 20 thousand troops, as well as a mosque with minaret. At that time, the fortress was one of the mightiest fortifications in Eastern Europe.